The student news site of Gowanda High School

The Phoenix

Ms. Storey looks back on 23 years of teaching

Mrs. Styles reflects on the impact of Ms. Storey's retirement.

Mrs. Styles reflects on the impact of Ms. Storey's retirement. "Although Audrey sure is small, she is leaving very big shoes to fill. We will all miss her so very much!"

Mrs. Giancola

Mrs. Giancola

Michaliah LiVecche, Staff Writer

Ms. Storey, a special education teacher, enjoyed a long career at Gowanda and is retiring at the end of this school year. So we will yet again be saying goodbye to one of our faculty members this summer.

She first came to Gowanda as a long-term substitute for Mrs. Steever, who is also retiring at the end of this school year. Ms. Storey was later hired at the beginning of the 1994-95 school year as a special education teacher in ELA grades 9 and 10, social studies 8th grade and Resource Room. 

Ms Storey has taught a number of different classes, including a Study Skills class for 9th and 10th grade, and a Resource Room for all grades. She also has served as a Special Education Team Leader.

When Ms. Storey’s son entered kindergarten, she signed up to be a substitute teacher at the Lake Shore School District.  At that time, she had a Bachelor’s degree in Psychology. She recalled the beginning of her teaching career. “I started working ‘full time’ and doing many long-term assignments throughout the district for a variety of different classes. After a few years, I decided to go back to school for a teaching degree.The exposure to all of the classes I received over those years was great experience for my future as a Resource Room teacher.”

Ms. Storey said she will miss the relationships with students and teachers that she has made over the years. “One of the benefits of being a Special Education teacher is that I have been able to work with students in different settings throughout their high school years. Watching that transformation from ninth grader to a senior is amazing!”

Mrs. Styles, English teacher, said she has respected and admired Ms. Storey since they started teaching together in 2007. “She has not only been a coworker, friend and role model, but she has been a stand-in mom for me at work,” Mrs. Styles added.

Mrs. Styles explained the role Ms. Storey has played in so many lives. “She has taken me under her wing and watched out for me during pregnancy, while my children were sick, and when I needed support in any area of my life she has given the best advice. The impact that she has on her students is the same. She is the mother hen of all the freshmen. She cares for them as if they are her own children and works tirelessly to provide them the skills they need to be successful. Without Audrey’s care, our freshmen would be lost. She is here well after most of the staff has left for the day and is in constant contact with all of the teachers to ensure that her students get what they need in all of their classes.”

Ms. Storey said she will miss the students and the teachers she’s worked with. She is, however, looking forward to retirement. “I am looking forward to spending more time with my 4-year-old granddaughter. I will be able to babysit more when needed. I would like to spend more time reading, gardening and taking a few small trips.”

Without a doubt, Ms. Storey will be missed.

1 Comment

One Response to “Ms. Storey looks back on 23 years of teaching”

1. Sue Rebmann on June 16th, 2017 8:26 am

Audrey is a kind hearted teacher and friend! She will truly be missed!!

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Ms. Storey looks back on 23 years of teaching

Showcase

Seeing is no longer believing

Showcase

Reader beware: Internet myths abound

Showcase

Myths about abortion thrive in the fake news stratosphere

News

News is in the eye of the beholder

Showcase

Taylor or Peterman?

Showcase

3-2 and first in the AFC East going into the bye week isn’t so bad

Showcase

Moving is as hard as it sounds

Showcase

Making new friends is easier than you think

Opinion

Looking forward to Chromebooks

Showcase

Gowanda’s own version of Flea Market Flip