The student news site of Gowanda High School

The Phoenix

Bills fall to Panthers in week two

Kruszka's commentary

Kruszka says he believes Taylor should continue to lead this team, despite some fans' cries for rookie Nathan Peterman.

Mrs. Giancola

Mrs. Giancola

Andrew Kruszka, Sports Editor

A determined 1-0 Buffalo Bills team went to match up against an uprising 1-0 Carolina Panthers team. The Bills and Panthers both had victories in week 1 against the Jets and 49ers, respectively, and both teams looked to continue their winning streaks.

The game started off with Carolina putting a field goal up on the board, making the score 3-0. After that, the Buffalo offense struggled terribly as three and outs became a regular for them ‒ only converting two first downs in the first half.

Running back LeSean McCoy had zero rushing yards in half number one.

The Panthers’ offense had their struggles too, as they could only put up one more field goal by the end of the half. Buffalo faced a 6-0 deficit after the first two quarters.

The Bills, looking for some spark, didn’t really find much as they drove down and had to settle for 3.

Leading 6-3, Carolina put another three points on the board and gave quarterback Tyrod Taylor and the Buffalo offense one last shot at a win.

With time running out, a tough situation was made after Taylor ran for a couple yards, stayed in bounds and no one called a timeout. Buffalo still had two timeouts left and another 13 seconds ran off the clock.

A fourth down play looked promising as Taylor threw to rookie wide receiver Zay Jones, who was just five yards away from the end zone, but the pass was dropped.

It was not the best throw by Taylor, but the ball should be caught, especially in that situation.

A 9-3 tough loss, with a lackluster performance by the offense, will really test how much faith we really do have in our team. At any rate, the record evens to 1-1 for the Bills.

People want to all of a sudden switch quarterbacks and throw rookie Nathan Peterman out there. Well everyone, I’ll tell you that the game loss is not all on Taylor.

There’s two things in football on which everyone wants to push blame: the coach and the quarterback. Let’s remember that it’s one game and freaking out will only make the situation worse.

In week 3, Buffalo faces off against a 2-0 Denver Broncos team traveling across the country. There’s always hope as fans, and therefore I believe that we will score a bigger number than three points.

Taylor will play better and our defense will continue looking solid as I predict a 27-28 victory for the hometown team.

GO BILLS!!!