The Phoenix

Where are the Taylor haters now?

Kruszka's commentary

Andrew Kruszka, Sports Editor

With overwhelming thoughts about how the NFL would react to the comments said by President Trump, it was time for football. In week 3, the 1-1 Buffalo Bills were set to clash with the 2-0 Denver Broncos at New Era Field.

The Bills came in with questions surrounding the offense after week 2’s embarrassing showing of only three points.

The game began with Buffalo’s defense still staying strong and only allowing a field goal in all of quarter 1.

Buffalo couldn’t kick the offense into 5th gear until the beginning of the second quarter, when quarterback Tyrod Taylor connected with wide receiver Andre Holmes after the ball was tipped for the touchdown.

With a 7-3 Buffalo lead, it didn’t take long for Denver to put points up. In a drive that only took 1:15 off the clock, Denver scored a touchdown.

The Bills then tacked on two more field goals, including Steven Hauschka’s 55-yarder to end the half. Denver put one field goal up themselves, making it 13-13 at the half.

To start half number 2, Denver put a decent looking drive together but only got 3 on the board.

Buffalo then answered that with a beautiful drive, finishing with Taylor and tight end Charles Clay connecting for the touchdown, giving them the 20-16 lead.

From there, Buffalo’s defense was the deciding factor, creating two interceptions and stopping Denver when they tried a fake punt.

The Bills secured the 26-16 victory when Taylor let the final seconds tick off as he kneeled for the last play.

A mighty impressive victory considering “everyone with a brain has got to pick Denver to win!”

The Bills showed this week that they can play at a high level. Now they have to consistently do it. Taylor led the offense, with 213 passing yards, including two touchdown passes.

So, now that everyone jumped off his fanwagon last week while I stayed on it, it’s time to gloat a little bit.

He is not going to put up MVP numbers every game, and by no means is he an MVP quarterback, but he knows what he has to do to be successful: Don’t turn over the football, understand that his defense is one of the best around, and know that he has one of the best running backs in the league behind him ‒ LeSean McCoy.

So as if beating a 2-0 team isn’t that impressive, Buffalo will have to travel south to face a 3-0 Atlanta Falcons team that has showed struggles.

The Bills have this game. They need to follow the same game plan: play to win, not to stay in the game.

Taylor will continue to show that he’s the man for the job, as I predict a 27-22 victory for Buffalo.

GO BILLS!!!