The Phoenix

The drought is over

Kruszka's commentary

Back to Article
Back to Article

The drought is over

Andrew Kruszka, Sports Editor

In week 17 of the NFL 2017 season, the 8-7 Buffalo Bills traveled down to Miami to match up against the 6-9 Dolphins – a game that meant possible entry into the playoffs or another year of disappointment for a loyal Bills fan base.

The scenarios were if the Bills won and the Baltimore Ravens lost, they’d be in the playoffs. If that didn’t happen, then the Bills would need to win and both the Tennessee Titans and the Los Angeles Chargers to lose for a playoff berth.

The game started with a very impressive drive, which was capped off with a touchdown thrown by quarterback Tyrod Taylor to tight end Nick O’Leary.

Buffalo’s defense then looked stellar throughout the whole first half, not allowing any points. The score at the intermission: 10-0 Bills.

As the second half began, Buffalo continued to look decent on offense by putting up a field goal and a touchdown scored by defensive tackle Kyle Williams, who is a long-time Bill of 13 years. With the score being 19-0, the Dolphins put up a field goal.

Then Buffalo answered quickly with a field goal, making it 22-3 with about six minutes on the clock.

At this point in time, both the Titans and the Chargers had won their games and it was all up to the Ravens losing if the Bills had any chance of making it.

The Miami offense started cooking as they put up two touchdowns late and tried to recover an onside kick.

They sadly went on to receive their attempt and get the football with two minutes left.

The Bills looked like they might blow a three possession lead, but didn’t, as linebacker Jordan Poyer intercepted a pass and secured the 22-16 victory over the Dolphins.

With this game ending in the Bills’ favor, all that was left was the possibility of a Ravens loss.

The Cincinnati Bengals traveled down the field late in the game and beat the Ravens 31-27, putting the Bills in the playoffs for the first time in 17 years.

Yes, the drought is over.

It’s quite a coincidence that the opponent next week for Buffalo will be coached by one of their former head coaches, Doug Marrone in Jacksonville.

For the first playoff game in 17 years, the 9-7 Bills, might not have their running back, LeSean McCoy due to an ankle injury. Nevertheless, the team will definitely go in with a head full of steam.

The wild card game will be at 1 p.m. on Sunday and the winner will either face the Pittsburgh Steelers or the New England Patriots pending which seeds win.

I predict a Bills victory, of course, as I have all year. In a tight matchup, Tyrod Taylor will step up in prime time and show his true colors that he is a playoff-caliber quarterback.

My prediction: Bills 29, Jaguars 26.

GO BILLS!!!