Boys Cross Country team builds on its history of success

Senior Trevor Greco, sophomore Andrew Kruszka, senior Ian Warrior, sophomore Lyle Warrior, Coach Tim O'Donnell, junior Matthew Kruszka, Junior Ryan Monat, senior Joey Kruszka, and freshman Matt Wargo celebrate their second place finish at the Section 6 meet.

Andrew Kruszka, Staff Writer

The Gowanda Boys Cross Country team sent two runners to the state championships as they celebrated yet another highly successful season.

Gowanda had five dominant runners this season that played a great role in the victories they had this year.

Seniors Joey Kruszka, Ian Warrior, Trevor Greco, and Juniors Matthew Kruszka and Ryan Monat were the core part of the team this year.

“We had great expectations this year and I couldn’t be happier for our team’s turnout,” said Coach Tim O’Donnell.

The success of Gowanda came all year but highlights of it including winning first place as a team at the Clarence Invitational. Also, the team placed second at the Alden Invitational.

To end the season, Gowanda finished strong, placing second at the Cattaraugus County meet. To top that, the team also placed second at the Section 6 meet, only losing to the 13th ranked team in the country for class C, East Aurora.

The Panthers sent two individuals off to the state meet this year. Senior Ian Warrior went for the first time. Junior Matthew Kruszka ran his third race at States.

Kruszka added that this was his third year running at states and he was proud to finish 33rd running in difficult conditions. Warrior said he loved the opportunity to go to States and was excited because it was his first time making it.

The day after the Section 6 meet, Junior Ryan Monat ran at the Hero’s Marathon and finished fifth with a time of 3 hours and 49 minutes. Monat said that it was hard to run the marathon and keep going, but he still stuck with it.

As further testimony to the team’s excellence, Senior Trevor Greco received Time Warner’s Scholar Athlete of the Week in mid-November. Greco commented on running so well his first year of cross country by saying it was a lot of fun and memories were definitely made.

All in all, the Gowanda Cross Country team had an amazing year. Although they will lose three seniors, the expectations are still high for next year’s team.