The student news site of Gowanda High School

The Phoenix

Let’s make every place in the school a “no smoochin’ zone”

Mr. Jarzynski, English teacher, points out the posters he made, that couples clearly ignore.

Mrs. Giancola

Mrs. Giancola

Caitlin Samargian, Staff Writer

Dear the couples of Gowanda High,

I have a few questions. One of them includes if you plan on not seeing each other for 10 years because that’s what it seems like. If your significant other is dying, leaving for war, or moving to another continent never to return, please, continue your loving embrace. If your excuse for clinging to each other is not one of the previously stated, please give each other a quick peck goodbye and proceed to your next destination.

Love, students and faculty

We’ve all been there. You pass a couple kissing, a normal thing for couples to do when saying goodbye to each other, right? Yet it gets a little extreme when you get more than halfway down the hall away from them, and you can still hear their lips and saliva connecting.

If you are a current student at Gowanda High School, then you’ve probably seen the somewhat new posters that have been posted by Mr. Jarzynski, English teacher, in the halls outside of his classroom.

Mr. Jarzynski says the posters are a “not so subtle, subtle reminder,” on how he feels about the excessive amount of affection shown around his classroom.

In the long run, he is just looking out for GHS’ couples, always reminding them when cold and flu season rolls around. A firm handshake and maintaining the 3-foot rule is Mr. Jarzynski’s ideal encounter of a couple on school grounds.

“Kids should always act like their mothers are around,” says social studies teacher Mr. Smith. “You shouldn’t do it unless your mother would walk by and approve.”

Holding hands with your significant other during school between classes is perfectly fine with many of us, but couples need to move over a little bit. Most couples need to realize they’re taking up the entire hall and walking much slower than the rest of us. It is somewhat awkward attempting to slide past one of these couples in an attempt to make it to the next class without being late.

Further, maybe couples in the hallways should take other people’s opinions into consideration.

Somebody who just went through a difficult split with their significant other could possibly see you and become very emotional. On the other hand, a teacher or a peer may want to keep their previous meal down instead of viewing your tongue in another student’s mouth.

A simple solution to this problem would be to make it a rule for couples to tone down the intimacy of a, “I’ll see you next period” goodbye. We are still in school, after all.

Some students have other ideas for solutions to this problem. Freshman Nicholas Siragusa said he believes that finding a hall monitor, possibly someone in a study hall to patrol and make the goodbyes quicker would help.

When we look back to the 14th through the 17th centuries, women were not allowed to show their ankles, yet if they did it was considered provocative. If a woman were to go to a party without gloves on her reputation was in serious danger due to the skin to skin contact if a man were to ask her to dance. The times really have changed, haven’t they?

Remembering that school is for learning, relationships and making memories, and not for making people uncomfortable with your PDA would go a long way to making the overall atmosphere more palatable.

Exchange your love and goodbyes discreetly and appropriately in public, or not at all.

3 Comments

3 Responses to “Let’s make every place in the school a “no smoochin’ zone””

1. Margie on May 6th, 2016 11:35 am

I’m not saying a word – why throw gas on a fire!!!

[Reply]

Caitlin Samargian Reply:

The phoenix staff is curious to know if you read the entire article. We aren’t opposed to showing affection, just asking for it to be toned down.

[Reply]

2. Meagan on May 11th, 2016 8:52 am

I think it’s a great idea. I love that the teachers are getting involved in this issue and the student body is speaking up.

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Let’s make every place in the school a “no smoochin’ zone”

Showcase

Bills prevail in snowy nail-biter

Showcase

The Bills fall to the Patriots, struggle to keep their playoff hopes alive

Showcase

Buffalo falls to the Chargers with Peterman at the helm

Showcase

Seeing is no longer believing

Showcase

Reader beware: Internet myths abound

Showcase

Myths about abortion thrive in the fake news stratosphere

News

News is in the eye of the beholder

Showcase

Moving is as hard as it sounds

Showcase

Making new friends is easier than you think

News

Ms. Storey looks back on 23 years of teaching