The Phoenix

Mrs. Shields enjoys her return to GHS; just don’t expect her to share her M&Ms

Back to Article
Back to Article

Mrs. Shields says that reading and spending time with her horses help her relax after a long day.

Mrs. Giancola

Mrs. Giancola

Mrs. Giancola

Michaliah LiVecche, Staff Writer

Mrs. Shields, the newest addition to the Special Education department in the high school, clearly understands the challenges faced by students.

She herself was a GHS graduate and remembers liking science and math, subjects that were “black and white.”

Mrs. Shields said she realizes why certain assignments, especially those from English classes can be so tough for students.

Q: Why did you choose Gowanda?

A: I went to Gowanda; I lived here my whole life. I’ve always wanted to teach here; it’s a great place. I was teaching at Baker Victory in Lackawanna for six years. I loved what I did up there; I just couldn’t pass up the chance to come home.

Q: Why did you decide to become a teacher?

A: It gave me an opportunity to guide kids, and give them some experiences. It’s an interesting way to interact with young people, and be a positive influence. I always thought I would be a Kindergarten teacher, but I changed my mind.

Q: Who are your role models?

A: I looked up to my parents. They taught me you have to work hard to get what you want. I had good influences along the way. I like to pave my own path.

Q: What do you do for a brain break?

A: I have four horses, and they can sense your mood. When I’m stressed, they come closer. I like to ride, and I try to read.

Q: Favorite guilty pleasure?

A: I like the Valentine’s Day M&Ms; I just like the colors.

Q: What kind of student were you?

A: I was a good student. I was scared to not turn in homework. I liked math and science; I liked things that were black and white.

Q: Dogs or cats?

A: Both. I have four cats and three dogs.

Q: Chocolate or vanilla?

A: Chocolate

Q: Is there anything you binge watch?

A: My kids hog the TV.

Q: What is your favorite possession?

A: A Pound Puppy (small stuffed toy) my grandfather gave me when my sister was born.