Mr. Leous retires after a career full of milestones

He continues to coach, much to the delight of many Panthers

Back to Article
Back to Article

Mr. Leous, former social studies teacher, shows one of the many ways he will enjoy retirement.

Andrew Kruszka

Andrew Kruszka

Andrew Kruszka

Andrew Kruszka, Sports Editor

Sustaining a career for 34 years in a little town in Western New York sounds pretty scary. But Mr. Leous, newly-retired social studies teacher, is the one man to pull it off here at Gowanda High School.

He named Gowanda “the best place to work ever!”

Mr. Leous, throughout his time at Gowanda, mostly taught 7-10th global history and geography, and the Contemporary Issues elective for grades 9-12.

He also served as the social studies department chairman.

Mr. Leous loved working with people and that’s why some say he was such a great mentor, teacher and man in general.

Though he loved teaching, Mr. Leous’ real passion was coaching. He was the head football coach for 20 years here at Gowanda and the wrestling coach for 33 years.

In fact, he said that coaching at the state championships for wrestling is one of his favorite memories.

For Coach Leous, the decision to retire was tough but easy to make at the same time. “The school made an offer I just couldn’t refuse,” he said.

Mr.Leous will definitely have a great retirement. “I will for sure stay busy. I have so many books to read, gardening, swimming, a dog and I don’t want to get up at 5a.m. anymore.”

Mr. Leous will definitely be missed at Gowanda, as he was such a ray of sunshine in everyone’s day. He said that he will, without a doubt, miss every second of the time he spent at Gowanda.

One thing is certain: we will never ever get someone like him again. Good luck, Mr. Leous.