The Phoenix

Thrilled about Trump’s victory

One student's view of the election

Back to Article
Back to Article

Thrilled about Trump’s victory

President-elect Donald J. Trump will take office on January 20, 2017.

Kurt Stitzel, Guest Contributor

This is what millions of Americans were saying in the months and weeks leading up to the 2016 election. There were third party candidates, but it was clear that the next President was going to be Hillary Clinton or Donald Trump.

The Democratic nominee, Hillary Clinton was a former First Lady, senator of New York and Secretary of State. Her opponent was Republican nominee, Donald J. Trump, the politically incorrect billionaire, and reality TV star who had absolutely no political experience.

Since Trump announced he was running in June of 2015, very few people took him seriously.

For example, the liberal elitist actor, George Clooney said, “There’s never going to be a President Trump.” Clooney was not the only one who thought Trump didn’t stand a chance.

Many more said there wasn’t a chance of a Trump presidency, such as full-of-themselves political analysts like Bob Beckel, or even TV show hosts on major news networks, like Rachel Maddow and Lawrence O’Donnell from MSNBC.

Last, but certainly not least of my “favorites,” were the arrogant liberal jokers that are Bill Maher, John Oliver, John Stewart and Stephen Colbert.

Not to mention, almost everyone in Hollywood spoke out against Trump and were huge Hillary Clinton supporters. All of them laughed at Trump and they said he would never even run for president; then he ran.

After that, they said he would never beat 16 of the best Republicans the country had to offer. Well, he beat all of them in the primaries, and it wasn’t even close.

Then the naysayers said Trump wouldn’t stand a chance against Hillary, almost every poll had him down significantly, and most thought he still couldn’t do it.

For almost a year and a half, those against Trump said he wouldn’t win.

Even on election night, the Democrats had a party waiting there for Hillary’s victory. That party went from all smiles to a bunch of crying college students, celebrities, and other Democrats within a matter of hours, and let me tell you it was hilarious.

I stayed up until 2:30 a.m. watching and laughing at them. A few weeks before the election, Hillary had a fireworks show planned for her victory; then she cancelled it just days before the election.

On the night of November 8th and the morning of November 9th the Clinton campaign didn’t get to see her victory fireworks’ red glare. The only red they saw was Donald Trump filling the electoral map, because guess what America? He won big in the Electoral College: 306-232.

Yes, Hillary won the popular vote by 2.5 million votes, but both campaigns knew the election was the “Race to 270” not the “Race to the Popular Vote.”

So for the left to cry now is pointless, and it isn’t going to make a difference whether you like it or not.

Trump’s campaign team planned accordingly. They campaigned hard in all of the states he needed to win, like Florida, North Carolina, Ohio, and then he won three states basically everyone thought Hillary would win: Pennsylvania, Michigan and Wisconsin.

In my opinion, Trump’s campaign was run far better than Hillary’s, especially in the final month, and that was a big reason why he won.

Donald Trump has his flaws and he said some horrible things, and tens of millions of Americans, myself included, realized that. However, we also agreed with Trump on policy and major issues.

Also, we were fed up with the typical life-long politicians in Washington leaving out the middle class hard-working Americans. And like President Obama once said, “Hillary would say anything and change nothing.”

Why do I think Hillary lost the election? Because she failed to appeal to hard -orking middle class Americans that felt left behind under the Obama administration.

Hillary also failed to get as much of the black vote as Obama did, and she was not exactly the most trustworthy individual (not that any politician is, but she definitely was not).

Millions of Americans also found it hard to believe that a lifelong politician understood where they were coming from, or that after 30 years in politics, everything Mrs. Clinton proposed was going to magically work when she was keeping almost the same economic plan Obama used, which doubled our national debt.

I can’t forget to mention the fact that in the weeks leading up to the election, Trump was busting his tail with around five or more campaign stops daily. That is the simplest way to explain why she lost.

Unlike what President Obama might tell you, Fox News is not the reason why Hillary lost the election. Fox News is also not the reason almost every one of his policies was a failure!

Whether you were happy about the election or very upset and still crying about it, this election will go down in history as the election where almost every media network, political analyst, celebrity and politician was wrong (I was right).

Most had no idea that the underdog, Donald J. Trump was going to win. I’m not going to lie to you like Hillary Clinton would, I liked Donald Trump and I am glad he won.

I am not afraid to say that to anyone because whether you like it or not, it is my opinion and you have to deal with it.

So please spare me your complaining because, one, I don’t care; two, I’m not looking to get into an argument about an election that is done and over with; and three, welcome to reality where you have to deal with things that don’t make you happy.

You cannot avoid opposing opinions. You have to deal with them ladies and gentlemen and you can’t go to your safe space because that won’t protect you from reality, and the reality is Trump won.