The student news site of Gowanda High School

The Phoenix

Students explore careers at Media Day

Phoenix staffers snag awards at writing competition

Students+and+staff+say+they+learned+valuable+lessons+from+local+broadcasters%2C+writers+and+photographers.+Top+row%3A+Nolan+Rosier%2C+junior%3B+Isaac+Hill%2C+junior%3B+Uriah+John%2C+junior%3B+Lindsey+Parker%2C+senior%3B+and+Mrs.+Giancola%2C+English+teacher+and+adviser+for+The+Phoenix.+Bottom+row%3A+Chelsey+Wielkie%2C+junior%3B+Haylee+Leatherbarrow%2C+junior%3B+Mr.+Jarzynski%2C+English+and+Media+Productions+teacher%3B+Megan+Stang%2C+junior%3B+and+Riley+Delpriore%2C+junior.+
Students and staff say they learned valuable lessons from local broadcasters, writers and photographers. Top row: Nolan Rosier, junior; Isaac Hill, junior; Uriah John, junior; Lindsey Parker, senior; and Mrs. Giancola, English teacher and adviser for The Phoenix. Bottom row: Chelsey Wielkie, junior; Haylee Leatherbarrow, junior; Mr. Jarzynski, English and Media Productions teacher; Megan Stang, junior; and Riley Delpriore, junior.

Mrs. Ondus

Mrs. Ondus

Phoenix Staff

In our media-obsessed society, it’s no wonder that many students express an interest in this ever-changing career field. At Media Day, GHS students got a first-hand look at what it takes to succeed in a variety of communications careers.

Sponsored by the Western New York School Press Association, Media Day features a variety of sessions with local professionals, a keynote speaker and a writing competition. The writing competition is especially important, as students receive feedback from journalists.

This year, sophomore Caitlin Samargian won top honors for her editorial, “Let’s make every place in the school a no smoochin’ zone.” The piece is posted in the Opinion section of this site.

Additionally, junior Andrew Kruszka won honorable mention for best human interest story for his piece titled “Student shows off cool shoe obsession.” This piece is posted in the Student Life section of our site.

Ms. Penelope Deakin, founder of the Western New York School Press Association and a former teacher at Fredonia High School and SUNY Fredonia, served as the keynote speaker. She reminded the student journalists of the seriousness of their work, and the necessity of the relentless search for truth, especially in an era of fake news and alternative news.

Students finished the day with a tour of the SUNY Fredonia campus, including stops at the television studio and radio station.