The student news site of Gowanda High School

The Phoenix

Turning art into awareness

Mrs. Rydzik's students use art to send a message

Freshman Melissa Briggs says that social media has made many girls more self-conscious than ever before.

Mrs. Giancola

Mrs. Giancola

Michaliah LiVecche, Staff Writer

The students in Mrs. Rydzik’s Studio in Art, Drawing and Painting, and Digital Design classes are working on a new project – one with no instructions.They have total control on what they want to create. To get started, the classes discussed modern artists and the reason behind their artwork. Native American customs, social media and bullying are three of the topics students are exploring.

Senior Kaelyn Miller chose to spread awareness for Native American customs. According to Miller, many people, including some Natives, don’t know their history. She is trying to make others understand so the culture doesn’t get lost.

She is writing about various customs in a blog known as “#ArtWithRydzik.” Miller talks about their food, the origin of Lacrosse, and the winter sport Snow Snake. Miller realizes that many people haven’t heard of this winter sport or where it came from.

She is attending GCC next year for a teacher transfer program. She either wants to teach elementary students or U.S. history. Thus, Miller will be able to continue sharing her cultural knowledge.

Freshman Melissa Briggs explains why she chose to do her project about the negative effects from social media. Briggs said that she and her friends are very picky about the things they post on social media.

Many girls are the same way because they are conscious about how others react. Briggs pointed out the trend on Facebook in which you post a few pictures where you feel beautiful. People tag other girls to try to encourage them to do the same. The idea is to boost their confidence and stop putting people down.

Briggs said she tries not to let the negative comments get to her, and others sometimes do the same. “You’re you, so be confident,” she added.

Freshman Mallory Eddy is raising awareness of the damage done by bullying. She is painting hurtful words on a few girls and taking pictures of them. A few of the words are “show off,” “liar,” “broken,” etc. Many of people use these harmful words to label people.

Eddy said she picked this topic to spread awareness on how bullying affects people. Bullying is a huge problem and she hopes to show people that labels do not matter.

1 Comment

One Response to “Turning art into awareness”

1. Mrs. Rydzik on June 14th, 2017 1:02 pm

The students have worked hard to stretch their thinking and their comfort zones. Most students rose to the challenge of designing their own projects based on a topic they were passionate about. I’m looking forward to working with many of these students again next year!!

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Turning art into awareness

Showcase

Bills prevail in snowy nail-biter

• Turning art into awareness

Showcase

The Bills fall to the Patriots, struggle to keep their playoff hopes alive

• Turning art into awareness

Showcase

Buffalo falls to the Chargers with Peterman at the helm

• Turning art into awareness

Showcase

Seeing is no longer believing

• Turning art into awareness

Showcase

Reader beware: Internet myths abound

• Turning art into awareness

Showcase

Myths about abortion thrive in the fake news stratosphere

• Turning art into awareness

News

News is in the eye of the beholder

• Turning art into awareness

Showcase

Moving is as hard as it sounds

• Turning art into awareness

Showcase

Making new friends is easier than you think

• Turning art into awareness

News

Ms. Storey looks back on 23 years of teaching

Turning art into awareness